If you were coming in the fall 如果你能在秋季来到
作者:Emily Dickinson
译者:江枫
If you were coming in the fall, 如果你能在秋季来到,
I'd brush the summer by 我会用掸子把秋季掸掉,
With half a smile and half a spurn 1 , 一半轻蔑,一半含笑,
As housewives do a fly. 像管家妇把苍蝇赶跑。
If I could see you in a year, 如果一年后能够见你,
I'd wind the months in balls, 我将把岁月缠绕成团
— And put them each in separate drawers, 分别存放在不同的抽屉,
Until their time befalls. 免得,混淆了日期
— If only centuries delayed, 如果只耽搁几个世纪,
I'd count them on my hand, 我会用我的手算计
— Subtracting till my fingers dropped 把手指逐一屈起,直到
Into Van Diemen’s land. 全部倒伏在亡人国里。
If certain, when this life was out, 如果确知,聚会在生命
— That yours and mine should be, 你的和我的生命,结束时
— I'd toss it yonder like a rind, 我愿意把生命抛弃
— And taste eternity 2 . 如同抛弃一片果皮
— But now, all ignorant of the length 但是现在难以确知
Of time's uncertain wing, 相隔还有多长时日
— It goads 3 me, like the goblin bee, 这状况刺痛我有如妖蜂
— That will not state its sting. 秘而不宣,是那毒刺。